Sunday, April 22, 2012

A Video Game About Wandering...No, wait, hear me out!

Let me start this game by saying: I'm sick of the same old stuff! The gaming industry spits out war games like television networks spit out cops shows, like YouTubers post videos about babies, etc.

Now check out this game:





Journey is absolutely cool because it focuses on something so difficultly achieved and so easily ignored in most modern games: the setting! Sure, the Uncharted franchise makes use of the scenery (as well as some others), but not like this game. 

This game is exactly what it says, a journey.

I remember exploring the water in the jet-ski game Slashdown when I was a little kid. In the Free Play mode, players could ride at their own pace. However, you could also ride outside the race boundaries without it placing you back on the path. I found out the terrifying way, though, that if you go too far away from the path a monster will eat you. (I had to pause the game and catch my breath.)

But I digress...

The environment of that game was spectacular. It took place all over the world: Florida, Ireland, Hawaii, etc. And it looked great!

Journey is a great game, too, because of how zen it is. It is a short game that encourages you to take a closer look at your surroundings, and I think, in this fast-paced world, that is a valuable lesson.



No comments:

Post a Comment