Monday, November 1, 2010

Why Aren't People Using Google Docs???

Perhaps the title is misleading. People do use Google Docs, but not as many as what should be. It's probably because people have already spent hundreds on some Microsoft Office Suite, and want to get their money's worth. However, I see Google Docs making Microsoft Office obsolete (at least for the average user who uses it for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).

Reasons to use Google Docs over Microsoft Office:
  • No need to email documents to yourself because Google Docs is online
  • Microsoft Office is expensive; Google Docs is free
  • Google Docs autosaves
  • No .doc vs. .docx problems when Microsoft releases new versions of Office
  • You can allow people access (or not) to the documents to edit without numerous emails and downloads
  • Saves disk space on your personal computer
  • Syncs well with other Google devices (i.e. Sites, Wave, GMail, Blogger, etc.)
Possible Cons to Google Docs:
  • Not quite sure how private Google Docs is, so I would leave personal information off of it
  • I'm sure there are more options on Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel than it's online counterparts
  • Other Microsoft Office Applications?

Obviously, I'm quite impressed with Google Docs. I've been preparing to write a new screenplay and using it instead of my Microsoft Office software. Also, my boyfriend wants a new computer. My thinking is: "Use the money you'd spend on Microsoft Office to buy a more expensive computer." Or something nice for your girlfriend. J/K

No comments:

Post a Comment