Sunday, October 14, 2012

Take Me to The Future?

Time.

A comforting constant in an ever-changing world. The human life cannot last forever (yet), and, because of that, we sometimes fear the passage of time. However, when it's an hour before your shift ends, you want nothing more but for time to speed up.



I bring up the topic of time because apparently we can time travel now! I was bored online one day and wondered: Have we reached "the future" yet? How would I know? Can we travel through time?!

So I turned to Google, and lo and behold: It's a scientific consensus that, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time travel is possible. There is a catch, though. You can only go into the future.

It's kind of like in the Adam Sandler movie, Click, where the main character fasts forward in time through some dull points of life. Imagine getting into a machine, then returning home several years in the future...

I knew I should have voted before I leaped.


Personally, I think it would be more interesting to travel backward through time. Scientists aren't saying its impossible to travel back in time, but there are other concerns:

  • If you go back in time and murder your father before you are born, then won't you cease to exist?
  • (My own question) If it is someday possible for someone to travel back in time, wouldn't we have met someone from the future already?
But think of what you could do with backward time travel! You could meet your parents when they were still considered cool. You could witness historical events up close. You could just chill in your favorite decade...

Wouldn't it be nice to have all this back?

Unfortunately, we are merely fathoming the possibility of moving forward in time right now. I'm not entirely sure how useful that would be...

I guess someone with an incurable disease could fast-forward to a time where a cure has been discovered. (Goodbye, Polio.)

What would you do if you could travel into the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment