Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Good of Hurricane Sandy

The hurricane - named oddly after my best friend - Hurricane Sandy proved more devastating than I had expected. The horrifying images of blocks burning and white-water roads was simply shocking.

With that, my prayers go out to all those affected by this natural disaster.



But on a lighter note...

Among all the horrifying footage of transformers exploding transformers and such, I found this gem. Sharing has been disabled in this video, but it's a simply a car slide-turn through an intersection behind a random reporter.

I don't know why I find this so amusing, but it's like an action movie just interrupted this mundane news report! I've always wondered what it's like for extras in action movies when really random action movie things happen.

Another positive out of this disastrous negative was the episode of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon on Monday. Fact: Laugh tracks and studio audiences have been a production technique for years because we laugh more when others laugh; laughter is contagious that way. But it takes a truly funny show to get laughs without it.

The Late Night audience was sent home to safety from the hurricane. However, the show still went on, and it was good. Yes, it started awkward. (The monologue really needed laughs from more than the crew...) But once the guests came on, it was just like any other night. I laughed just as much as always.

Actually, I laughed more because the monologue was really awkward.

Hats off to Jimmy for living up to the phrase: "The show must go on." It was really inspiring.

Lastly, I put "Hurricane Sandy" into YouTube and got this video:


Somehow a multiple-block fire started in New York City due to the hurricane. 

At first, I was freaked out. While I was at home watching the latest episode of Revenge, people were losing their lives and their loved ones. Sometimes we get so involved in our own lives that we become unconscious of the world around us.

However, while I watched this video, it occurred to me: I've never seen a fire rage like this before. It's important to me to see the beauty in everything - even really, really bad things - and I must admit this was one magnificent fire.

Think about how everything that looked so different before looks the same as it burns away. Think about how it was all caused by a series of unfortunate events that no human was involved in. Amazing.


As previously stated, I try to find the beauty in everything. Hurricane Sandy has been one tragedy after another with effects reaching far into The United States from the east coast. However, there are always tiny moments like these that can make you smile...if only for a moment.


"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to Dance in the Rain."




No comments:

Post a Comment