Thursday, July 11, 2013

G4 Becomes Bravo (For Men)

I know it's been a while (and I should have posted something sooner), but I am still mourning G4's Attack of the Show and X-Play. As a young geek, these shows have been a great source of information and entertainment.


The entire channel will be undergoing a re-branding in September. On September 23, 2013, G4 will become the Esquire Network.

The Esquire Network is the channel's way of "growing up". G4 is apparently television for older boys, whereas Esquire Network is for young men. Along with games and technology, the Esquire Network will consist of programming about food, travel, fashion, and other things.

I'm too old for shows about video games... I like other things, too, now... but, yes, I still like games though.

Reading through the list of upcoming shows, I instantly thought it sounded familiar...

Cooking: Knife Fight / Top Chef
Fashion: How I Rock It / Project Runway
Real Estate: Risky Listing / Million-Dollar Listing

It all sounds like manly versions of shows on Bravo!

Add a hot guy & a few explosions, and rename it Knife Fight.

Television for men, television for women... Sure it's a little sexist to assume "men like this whereas women like that", but it's always interesting to see what network producers put together for these broad target audiences.

G4 was one of my favorite networks. I hope the new Esquire Network measures up to its glory - and is hopefully different than the Bravo network!

With online streaming and DVRs, a time will likely come where you're able to make a television channel that caters to your personal interests. What would your daily line-up be?




No comments:

Post a Comment