Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Devil Is In The Anime

So, I've started watching two anime series: Blue Exorcist & The Devil Is A Part-Timer. I didn't choose either anime for this reason, but I notice a common supernatural theme: The Devil.


Blue Exorcist is about young man training to become an exorcist and avenge the death of the his father - or, more precisely, the man who raised him. His actual father is... the devil. Yes, young Rin Okumura is the literal spawn of Satan. (Yet, surprisingly, he's quite the good guy!)


The Devil Is A Part-Timer is about Satan, his most devoted servant, and the only human who can stop him from taking over the world living surprisingly normal, part-time lives in our world while trying to return their more mystical world. This devil is also an astonishingly nice guy.




It's aspects like demon heroes that make me appreciate foreign media. A sympathetic devil is not something The United States would easily accept. Surely, numerous religious groups would protest these shows if they were American-made.

Personally, I try not to allow my religious convictions to keep me from enjoying a narrative with a different perspective. In doing so, anime like these often open my mind to possibilities like: What if the devil had a chance to live a normal human life? Would he embrace the opportunity? Would the world embrace him? Should they?

Also, I must admit seeing the devil working at (essentially) McDonald's is spiritually gratifying!


Follow Very Geeky Girl on Facebook for more very geeky stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment